The power consumption of a gaming laptop varies depending on various factors, including the hardware specifications, usage, and performance settings. On average, gaming laptops typically require anywhere between 90 to 250 watts of power. However, it should be noted that this value is an estimation and can vary from one model to another.
The power requirements of a gaming laptop are primarily determined by the processor (CPU), graphics card (GPU), display size, and additional components. High-performance CPUs and GPUs consume more power than their less powerful counterparts. The size and resolution of the laptop's display also influence power consumption, with larger screens typically requiring more power.
During intense gaming sessions, where both the CPU and GPU are under full load, a gaming laptop tends to consume more power. This can be further increased if the laptop is running at its maximum performance settings, such as with overclocking enabled.
It's worth noting that power supply units (PSUs) for gaming laptops are usually designed to accommodate the average power requirements of the system, allowing for smooth operation without any power-related issues. Nevertheless, it is always advisable to check the laptop's power supply specifications, which are typically mentioned in the product details or user manual, to ensure compatibility and optimal performance.
Best Gaming Laptops in 2023
Rating is 5 out of 5
ASUS ROG Strix G16 (2023) Gaming Laptop, 16” Nebula Display 16:10 QHD 240Hz, GeForce RTX 4070, Intel Core i9-13980HX, 32GB DDR5, 1TB PCIe SSD, Wi-Fi 6E, Windows 11 Pro, G614JI-XS96,Eclipse Gray
- POWER UP YOUR PLAY - Draw more frames and win more games with Windows 11, a 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13980HX processor, and an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 Laptop GPU at 140W Max TGP.
- BLAZING FAST MEMORY AND STORAGE – Multitask swiftly with 32GB of DDR5-4800MHz memory and speed up loading times with 1TB of PCIe 4x4.
- ROG INTELLIGENT COOLING – To put this amount of power in a gaming laptop, you need an even better cooling solution. The Strix features Thermal Grizzly’s Conductonaut Extreme liquid metal on the CPU, and a third intake fan among other premium features, to allow for better sustained performance over long gaming sessions.
- ROG NEBULA DISPLAY – The Nebula standard guarantees a premium display with high specs in all fronts for the best visuals no matter the task. Featuring QHD 240Hz/3ms, 100% DCI-P3, Pantone Validation, among other premium features on the Strix G16.
Rating is 4.9 out of 5
Lenovo Ideapad Gaming 3 Laptop 15.6 120Hz, AMD Ryzen 7 7735HS up to 4.75 Ghz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4050, 32GB DDR5 1TB SSD, Backlit KB, WiFi 6, USB-C, RJ-45, HDMI, Webcam, Windows 11 +Mousepad, Gray
- 【Processor】AMD Ryzen 7 7735HS 8-Core Processor (Base Clock 3.2GHz, up to 4.75 GHz, 24 MB L3 cache, 8 cores, 16 threads)
- 【Display】15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080), IPS, Anti-Glare, Non-Touch, 45%NTSC, 250 nits, 120Hz, LED Backlight, FreeSync, Narrow Bezel; HD 720p Camera with Privacy Shutter
- 【I/O Ports】2 x USB-A 3.2 Gen 1, 1 x USB-C 3.2 Gen 2, 1 x RJ-45, 1 x HDMI, 1 x Headphone/microphone combo jack; Backlit Keyboard; Wi-Fi 6 AX and Bluetooth 5
- 【Upgraded Storage】Upgraded to 32GB DDR5 RAM, 1TB PCIe SSD. Get the mighty performance out of your laptop with support of the DDR5-4800 memory. Provides massive storage space for huge files, so that you can store important digital data and work your way through it with ease
- 【Graphics】The NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4050 Laptop GPU is beyond fast for gamers and creators. They're powered by the ultra-efficient NVIDIA Ada Lovelace architecture which delivers a quantum leap in both performance and AI-powered graphics.
Rating is 4.8 out of 5
Acer Nitro 17 Gaming Laptop | AMD Ryzen 7 7735HS Octa-Core CPU | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4050 GPU | 17.3" FHD 165Hz IPS Display | 16GB DDR5 | 1TB Gen 4 SSD | Wi-Fi 6E | RGB Backlit KB | AN17-41-R8N5, Black
- Go full throttle with the Acer Nitro 17 gaming laptop featuring the latest AMD Ryzen 7000 Series Processors and NVIDIA’s DLSS 3 technology – whether playing casually or ranking up online. The picture-perfect 17.3-inch FHD display with 165Hz refresh rates provides an immersive viewing experience while next-gen cooling, a 4-zone RGB keyboard and NitroSense software let you take command of the playing field.
- AMD Ryzen 7000 Series: Now featuring the AMD Ryzen 7 7735HS Octa-Core Processor delivering superior gaming performance where you need it most. With Precision Boost, get up to 4.75GHz for your high-demand games.
- Beyond Fast: The NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4050 Laptop GPU is beyond fast for gamers and creators. They're powered by the ultra-efficient NVIDIA Ada Lovelace architecture which delivers a quantum leap in both performance and AI-powered graphics.
- Bask in Visual Glory: With a lightning-quick 165Hz refresh rate, the 17.3" Full HD (1920 x 1080) display makes your game sessions fluid, unbroken, and unmatched. Now you can land those reflexive shots with pinpoint accuracy and minimal ghosting.
- NVIDIA Advanced Optimus: NVIDIA Advanced Optimus is NVIDIA’s graphics switching technology, which allows a laptop display to dynamically switch between the integrated graphics (inside the processor) and the discrete graphics (the NVIDIA GPU) without having to reboot
- Internal Specifications: 16GB DDR5 Memory; 1TB PCIe Gen 4 SSD; Wireless Wi-Fi 6E supports dual-stream Wi-Fi in the 2.4GHz, 5GHz and 6GHz bands, including 2x2 MU-MIMO Technology; Killer Ethernet E2600 10/100/1000; Bluetooth 5.1
- Complete Next-Gen Cooling: The newly refined chassis has a few extra tricks up its sleeve when it comes to cooling with dual-fan, dual-intakes (top and bottom), and a quad-exhaust port design. This also includes the chilling effects of liquid metal thermal grease which acts as a more efficient heat transfer between the CPU and the heatsink.
- The Keys to Victory: Spice things up with the 4-zone RGB keyboard and take command of the inner workings of the laptop via the dedicated NitroSense Key. With the NitroSense utility app, you can control fan speeds, lighting, and more to push performance to its max.
- Max Your Speeds with Wi-Fi 6E: Get an edge online by taking control of your network and prioritizing your gameplay with Killer Ethernet E2600 and Wi-Fi 6E. Plug all your peripherals into the full range of ports, including HDMI 2.1, USB Type-C Port - supporting USB4 and the newest USB 3.2 standard with Gen 2 support. There’s even a MicroSD Card Reader should it be needed.
- Ports For All Your Accessories: 1 - USB Type-C Port - supporting USB4 (up to 40 Gbps), USB Charging & Power Delivery (Up to 65W), 1 - USB Type-C Port USB 3.2 Gen 2 (up to 10 Gbps) DisplayPort over USB Type-C, & USB Charging & Power Delivery (Up to 65W), 2 - USB 3.2 Gen 2 Ports (One Featuring Power-off Charging), 1 - USB 2.0 Port, 1 - HDMI 2.1 Port with HDCP Support, 1 - Ethernet (RJ-45) Port, 1 - Headphone/Microphone-in Jack
Rating is 4.7 out of 5
Acer Predator Helios 16 Gaming Laptop | 13th Gen Intel Core i7-13700HX | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 | 16" 2560 x 1600 165Hz G-SYNC Display | 16GB DDR5 | 1TB Gen 4 SSD | Killer Wi-Fi 6E | PH16-71-74UU
- Do What You Do With Superior Performance: The 13th Gen Intel Core i7-13700HX processor goes beyond performance to let your PC do even more at once. With a first-of-its-kind design, you get the performance you need to play, record and stream games with high FPS and effortlessly switch to heavy multitasking workloads like video, music, and photo editing.
- Beyond Fast: Feel the power emanating from within the neon-hued shell of the Helios 16. The NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Laptop GPU is beyond fast for gamers and creators. They're powered by the ultra-efficient NVIDIA Ada Lovelace architecture which delivers a quantum leap in both performance and AI-powered graphics.
- Trust Your Eyes: At 16 inches with a 16:10 aspect ratio, the pristine WQXGA LED panel clocks in with a fast 165Hz refresh and 3ms Overdrive response time. Alongside the suite of features from NVIDIA G-SYNC and NVIDIA Advanced Optimus, you're guaranteed that games, movies, and whatever's on-screen – all benefit from extreme levels of performance.
- Start Your Engines: This Predator Helios 16 laptop will take your game library, place it in front of you, and dare you to give it a challenge. Not only does Helios look good while dishing out frame after frame, but this RTX-empowered machine is fully optimized for maximum 140W MGP usage, so you always have two things: Full Power.
- NVIDIA Advanced Optimus: NVIDIA Advanced Optimus is NVIDIA’s graphics switching technology, which allows a laptop display to dynamically switch between the integrated graphics (inside the processor) and the discrete graphics (the Nvidia GPU) without having to reboot.
- Internal Specifications: 16GB DDR5 (Up to 4800 MT/s) memory (2 DDR5 Slots Total, Maximum 32GB); 1TB PCIe Gen 4 SSD (2 x PCIe M.2 Slots)
- Fully Connected: With the Intel Killer E2600 Ethernet Controller and Intel Killer Wi-Fi 6E AX1675, you have all the tools you need to clear out the online competition. Plug all your peripherals into the full range of USB 3.2 Gen2, including two incredibly fast Thunderbolt 4 USB-C ports and HDMI 2.1. There’s even a Micro SD Card Reader if needed!
- Keyed For Total Control: Make that per-key RGB keyboard shine with Mini LED backlights that are brighter, require less power and are more uniform in color (with less halo) than their non-Mini LED counterparts. Access PredatorSense to further personalize the RGB to your own style.
Rating is 4.6 out of 5
MSI Cyborg 15 Gaming Laptop, 15.6" FHD 144Hz Display, 13th Gen Intel Core i7-13620H, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4050, 64GB DDR5 RAM, 2TB PCIe SSD, Webcam, Backlit KB, Wi-Fi 6, Windows 11 Home, Black
- 【High Speed RAM And Enormous Space】64GB high-bandwidth RAM to smoothly run multiple applications and browser tabs all at once; 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive allows to fast bootup and data transfer
- 【Processor】13th Gen Intel Core i7-13620H Processor (10 Cores, 16 Threads, 24MB L3 Cache, Base Frequency at 1.8 GHz, up to 4.9 GHz), with NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4050 (6GB GDDR6)
- 【Tech Specs】2 x USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A, 1 x USB 3.2 Type-C, 1 x HDMI, 1 x RJ-45, 1 x Audio Port; Backlit Keyboard (Fn+F8); Wi-Fi 6 and Bluetooth
- 【Display】15.6" FHD (1920x1080, 16:9), IPS-Level 144Hz 45%NTSC
- 【Operating System】Windows 11 Home-Beautiful, more consistent new design, Great window layout options, Better multi-monitor functionality, Improved performance features, New videogame selection and capabilities, Compatible with Android Apps
Rating is 4.5 out of 5
Lenovo LOQ 16" 144Hz WUXGA Gaming Laptop, GeForce RTX 4050, AMD Ryzen 7 7840HS (> i7-12700H), 64GB DDR5 RAM, 2TB PCIe SSD, Webcam, Backlit Keyboard, RJ-45, Wi-Fi 6, Windows 11 Home, Grey
- 【High Speed RAM And Enormous Space】64GB high-bandwidth DDR5 RAM to smoothly run multiple applications and browser tabs all at once; 2TB PCIe NVME M.2 Solid State Drive allows fast bootup and data transfer
- 【Processor】AMD Ryzen 7 7840HS (8 Cores, 16 Threads, 16MB L3 Cache, 3.8 GHz base frequency, up to 5.1 GHz max turbo frequency); NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4050 GPU 6GB GDDR6
- 【Display】16" WUXGA (1920 x 1200), IPS, Anti-Glare, Non-Touch, 45%NTSC, 350 nits, 144Hz
- 【Tech Specs】1 x E-shutter button, 2 x USB-A 3.2 Gen 2 (10Gbps), 1 x USB-A 2.0, 1 x Ethernet (RJ45), 1 x USB-C (10Gbps; DisplayPort 1.4 / 140W power delivery), 1 x HDMI 2.1, 1 x Headphone / mic combo, 1 x DC-in; Backlit Keyboard; Wi-Fi 6 and Bluetooth
- 【Operating System】Windows 11 Home - Beautiful, more consistent new design, Great window layout options, Better multi-monitor functionality, Improved performance features, New videogame selection and capabilities, Compatible with Android Apps
Rating is 4.4 out of 5
Dell G16 7620 Gaming Laptop - 16-inch QHD 165Hz Display, Intel Core i9-12900H Processor, 32GB DDR5 RAM, 1TB SSD, WiFi 6, NVIDIA GeForce RTX3070Ti Graphics, Services + Windows 11 Home - Black
- LARGER 16:10 SCREEN: The G Series’ first-ever 16-inch screen built into a 15-inch chassis built for gaming and life..Wireless : Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX201, 2x2, 802.11ax, Bluetooth wireless card. Primary Battery :6-Cell Battery, 86WHr (Integrated). Power : 240W AC Adapter
- EXCELLENT PERFORMANCE: Top-tier thermal design and ultra-thin fan blades keep the system cool under pressure.
- ROBUST GRAPHICS: Powerful NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070Ti with 8GB GDDR6 dedicated memory.
- IMPROVE PERFORMANCE WITH THE TOUCH OF A BUTTON: A Game Shift macro key in the F9 position gives you extra power for more intense gameplay moments.
- KEEP IT COOL: Dual air intake and four large exhaust vents maximize airflow over the copper pipes for optimal cooling and heat dissipation.
Rating is 4.3 out of 5
ASUS ROG Strix G17 (2023) Gaming Laptop, 17.3” QHD 240Hz, GeForce RTX 4070, AMD Ryzen 9 7945HX, 16GB DDR5, 1TB PCIe SSD, Wi-Fi 6E, Windows 11, G713PI-DS94 Eclipse Gray
- ESPORT DOMINATION – Power up with Windows 11, an AMD Ryzen 9 7945HX processor, and an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 Laptop GPU at 140W Max TGP.
- BLAZING FAST MEMORY AND STORAGE – Multitask swiftly with 16GB of DDR5-4800MHz memory and speed up loading times with 1TB of PCIe 4x4.
- ROG INTELLIGENT COOLING – To put this amount of power in a gaming laptop, you need an even better cooling solution. The Strix features Thermal Grizzly’s Conductonaut Extreme liquid metal on the CPU among other premium features, to allow for better sustained performance over long gaming sessions.
- COMPETITION HERTZ – As a purpose-built gaming machine, The Strix G17 has a fast QHD 240Hz/3ms panel to help you stay locked to your target. It also covers 100% of the DCI-P3 color space and feature Dolby Vision and Adaptive-Sync support for a stellar viewing experience.
- MUX SWITCH WITH ADVANCED OPTIMUS - A MUX Switch increases laptop gaming performance by 5-10% by routing frames directly from the dGPU to the display bypassing the iGPU. With Advanced Optimus the switch between iGPU and dGPU becomes automatic based on the task optimizing battery life.
- XBOX GAME PASS ULTIMATE – Get a free 90-day pass and gain access to over 100 high-quality games. With games added all the time, there’s always something new to play.
Rating is 4.2 out of 5
MSI 2023 Cyborg Gaming Laptop, 15.6" FHD 144Hz FHD IPS-Type Display, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060,Intel Core i7-12650H, 64GB DDR5, 2TB PCIe SSD, Wi-Fi 6, Windows 11 Home, Backlit Keyboard, Black/OLY
- 【Engaging Visual Experience】🚀: Immerse yourself in a captivating visual feast with a 15.6-inch high-definition screen boasting a resolution of 1920 x 1080 (Full HD) and an astonishing 144Hz refresh rate.
- 【Outstanding Performance】🚀: Powered by the robust Intel 12th Generation Core i7 12650H processor and equipped with 8GB of DDR5 RAM running at a blazing-fast 4800 megahertz, ensuring effortless multitasking and smooth performance.
- 【Spacious High-Speed Storage】🚀: Featuring a built-in 2TB SSD storage, providing ample space for a plethora of files, applications, and multimedia content.
- 【Exceptional Graphics Performance】🚀: Harness the power of the NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 dedicated graphics card, supporting DLSS 3 (Deep Learning Super Sampling) and ray tracing technology for outstanding graphical performance. The 8GB
- 【Versatile Connectivity】🚀: Stay seamlessly connected with an array of connection options, including 1 x HDMI 2.1, 2 USB-A 3.1 ports, and 1 USB-C 3.1 port, all complemented by Wi-Fi 6 support for uninterrupted connectivity wherever
Rating is 4.1 out of 5
ASUS TUF Gaming F17 (2023) Gaming Laptop, 17.3” FHD 144Hz Display, GeForce RTX 4050, AMD Ryzen 7 7735HS, 16GB DDR5, 1TB PCIe 4.0 SSD, Wi-Fi 6, Windows 11, FA707NU-DS74,Mecha Gray
- READY FOR ANYTHING – Jump straight into the action with Windows 11, AMD Ryzen 7 7735HS processor, and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4050 Laptop GPU at 140W Max TGP.
- FAST MEMORY AND STORAGE – Multitask quickly with 16GB of DDR5-4800MHz memory and speed up loading times with 1TB of PCIe 4.0. Upgrading the storage is a breeze with the addition SSD slot.
- NEVER MISS A MOMENT – Keep up with the pros thanks to its FHD 144Hz display. With Adaptive-Sync the display synchronizes with the GPU’s output to reduce lag, minimize stuttering, and eliminate visual tearing for ultra-smooth gameplay.
- BLOW AWAY THE COMPETITION – High core count CPUs create more heat when at full load. The TUF Gaming A17 is equipped to handle its high-power CPU with an upgraded pair of 84-blade Arc Flow Fans.
- MUX SWITCH WITH ADVANCED OPTIMUS - A MUX Switch increases laptop gaming performance by routing frames directly to the display, while Advanced Optimus optimizes battery life by switching between GPU modes automatically depending on the task.
- MILITARY GRADE ENDURANCE – True to its TUF Gaming name, the A17 must successfully survive a rigorous battery of MIL-STD-810H tests. Test devices are exposed to drops, vibration, humidity, and extreme temperatures to ensure reliability.
- XBOX GAME PASS ULTIMATE – Get a free 90-day pass and gain access to over 100 high-quality games. With games added all the time, there’s always something new to play.
How to reduce the power consumption of a gaming laptop?
Here are some tips to reduce the power consumption of a gaming laptop:
- Adjust power settings: Change the power plan from high performance to power saver or balanced mode. This can be done by right-clicking on the battery icon in the system tray and selecting "Power Options" or by going to the Control Panel.
- Manage display settings: Lower screen brightness and adjust the timeout for the display to switch off when not in use. Dimming the screen can significantly reduce power consumption.
- Disable unnecessary hardware: Disconnect or turn off any unused peripherals like USB devices, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and external speakers that are not required while gaming.
- Close unnecessary applications: Close any background programs and applications that are not needed while gaming. These programs can consume system resources and drain the battery faster.
- Limit gaming performance: Adjust in-game settings to reduce graphics detail, lower screen resolution, and frame rate. This will put less strain on the system, thereby reducing power consumption.
- Use a cooling pad: Gaming laptops tend to run hot, and high temperatures can consume more power. Placing your laptop on a cooling pad can help keep the system temperatures lower, thus reducing power consumption.
- Hibernate or sleep mode: When not gaming, consider putting the laptop into hibernate or sleep mode instead of leaving it running. These modes consume significantly less power and allow you to resume quickly.
- Update drivers and firmware: Keeping your laptop's software up to date can optimize performance and power efficiency. Check for updates on the manufacturer's website or use automatic driver update tools.
- Clean the laptop: Regularly clean dust from the cooling vents and fans to prevent overheating. An overheated laptop uses more power to cool itself down, affecting battery life.
- Upgrade hardware: If you are willing to invest, consider upgrading to more power-efficient components like a solid-state drive (SSD) or high-capacity battery.
Remember that reducing power consumption may compromise gaming performance, so it's important to find a balance that suits your needs while extending the battery life of your gaming laptop.
What is the power draw of a gaming laptop when idle?
The power draw of a gaming laptop when idle can vary depending on several factors such as the specific model, hardware specifications, and power management settings. Generally, gaming laptops can consume around 10 to 20 watts of power when in idle mode. However, more energy-efficient laptops and those with advanced power-saving features can consume even less power in idle mode, potentially reaching around 5 to 10 watts. It's important to note that these values are approximate and can vary significantly based on individual laptop characteristics.
What factors affect the wattage requirement of a gaming laptop?
Several factors can affect the wattage requirement of a gaming laptop:
- Processor: The more powerful the processor, the higher the wattage requirement. High-end processors with multiple cores and higher clock speeds tend to consume more power.
- Graphics Card: Gaming laptops often have dedicated graphics cards, which can consume a significant amount of power. Powerful graphics cards with higher VRAM and higher clock speeds require more wattage.
- Display: High-resolution displays with larger screen sizes consume more power. Additionally, if the laptop has a high refresh rate display, it may require more power to keep up with the increased frame rates.
- RAM: While RAM itself does not consume much power, having more RAM or higher frequency RAM can lead to increased power consumption due to increased data transfer.
- Storage: Solid-State Drives (SSDs) generally consume less power compared to traditional Hard Disk Drives (HDDs). However, having multiple storage drives or using high-capacity SSDs can increase the power requirement.
- Cooling System: Gaming laptops often come with more robust cooling mechanisms such as multiple fans or liquid cooling, which can consume additional power to keep the components cool.
- Peripherals: If you connect additional peripherals such as gaming mice, keyboards, or external displays to your gaming laptop, these devices can also contribute to the overall power consumption.
It's worth noting that the actual wattage requirement can vary greatly depending on the specific components, their efficiency, and the level of usage (e.g., intense gaming vs. casual use).